What's new

Letter to my Congressmen

jseymour

Administrator
Staff member
I recently sent the following letter to all my state and federal representatives. I will post responses as I receive them.

Dear congressman,

This week we are confronted with another tragedy. this time in our nation's capital. My thoughts and prayers go out to the many that were victims, wounded or affected by this latest act by a disturbed man. These incidents all come as such a surprise. But afterwards, in hindsight we see all the things that should have flagged this individual as possibly dangerous.

Over the last few years, and going back to the Columbine massacre and beyond, mostly happen by disturbed individuals that we can clearly see the red flags after the crime is over. As much as we try. As much as we want to find a way to prevent bad people from doing bad things. There is just no way possible to stop a person that goes over the edge and becoming violent. It happens for too many reasons and manifests too many ways.

If we look back at some recent ones, there is a common denominator. Here is a list from the top of my head:

1. This weeks tragedy in DC
2. Sandy Hook Elementary
3. Aurora Movie Theater
4. Sikh Temple
5. Gabby Gifford's event
6. Fort Hood
7. Clackmas Mall shooting

Not at all in order. All of these shootings except for 2 (Clackmas and Gabby's event) happened in “Gun free zones”. The two mentioned above both ended with the shooter being confronted with a legally carrying citizen. In Gabby's case, the citizen helped another restrain the shooter smartly without drawing his weapon. The second, drew down on the shooter but did not shoot as he saw people moving beyond his target. The shooter shot himself when he unjammed his gun.

All the others the shooter had free reign to kill as many as possible until law enforcement arrives to the scene. I think that these zones should be renamed “Self Defense Denial Zones”. We are granted the right to keep and bear arms by the second amendment to have the ability to protect ourselves in and beyond our homes. As the “Gun Free Zones” grow the casualties have increased. The people in these areas have no way to protect themselves, and the murderers that use them know it. They know that they will not be challenged until they have done enough to get their one week of fame on all the 24 hour news channels.

Armed guards are a pretty good idea. The problem is that nobody, not even a paid guard wants to join a gun fight. The only true way that a mass murderer may get immediately engaged is if an armed citizen is in the situation, and his only way out is to fight. The citizen may succeed or he may fail, but if he is not disarmed at least he has the chance.

You will never see many heroes running to get into the situation. Even armed citizens will leave to protect themselves if the need arises. The important thing is not to disarm the actual people caught in the situation. And on a side note – on a military base our service men and women should never be unarmed and defenseless. We should have learned that after the Fort Hood shooting.

As a concealed carry license holder in Florida, I choose to have a chance. I believe I should be able to lawfully protect my life, and the life of my family at any location of this free nation. It is my constitutional right. I also believe if I am required to disarm in a location private or public so I am not able to protect myself that the owner or government should be liable if I or my family is attacked in the “Gun Free Zone”.

I will follow the law. The criminal will not. So please, if you find a need to pass laws, pass laws that put the advantage in favor of the citizen over the criminal. Abolish the “Self Defense Denial Zones”. Far too often, in our vane effort to “protect the people” we give all the advantage to the criminal.

Sincerely,
John D Seymour

jseymour

Administrator
Staff member
1st response. Ted Yoho:

Dear Mr. Seymour,

Thank you for contacting me regarding our right to bear arms. I am a staunch supporter of the Constitution and believe our Second Amendment rights are a birthright.

As a proud member of the NRA, I will support legislation that protects our 2nd Amendment rights as our Founding Fathers intended. I will do everything within my power to protect those unalienable freedoms from Federal government interference. Recently I signed on to the Stockman-Broun letter which requests that Speaker Boehner not bring any gun legislation to the House Floor unless it has the support of the majority.

I oppose any infringement on our right to keep and bear arms. Federal interference and regulation is often a burden on the taxpayer and leads to a bloated Federal government—to which I am ardently opposed. The only Federal laws if any, that should be in place regarding firearms are those that protect the rights of private citizens, not restrict them. Instead of infringing upon our 2nd Amendment rights with costly regulations, we need to promote responsible gun ownership.

As the debate for gun control continues during the 113th Congress I will remain strong in my support of the 2nd Amendment. Should any gun legislation reach the Floor for a vote you can rest assured that I will uphold the Oath of Office I took to protect and defend the Constitution.

Thanks again for contacting me. I value your input and encourage you to be in regular contact with my office. I also invite you to visit my website at www.yoho.house.gov and sign up for my weekly e-newsletter.

Sincerely,
Ted S. YohoMember of Congress
Serving the 3rd District of Florida

jseymour

Administrator
Staff member
2nd response: Bill Nelson

Dear Mr. Seymour:

Thank you for contacting me about policy proposals that seek to reduce gun violence.

I support reinstating the assault weapons ban and restoring the 10-round limit for ammunition magazines. AK 47s are intended for killing, not hunting. I support universal background checks, and voted for them in the Senate this April.

Solutions for reducing gun violence must address many areas, from protecting law enforcement and keeping weapons out of the hands of criminals, to school safety and access to mental health services.

I will continue to seek a path forward to reform our nation's gun laws. I appreciate hearing your views on this very important issue, and I will keep them in mind as the debate on gun control moves forward. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future.
Sincerely,
Bill Nelson